Greenway route of the Tren Burra
Hiking and cycling route along the route of the old railway line
The emblematic “Tren Burra” (donkey train) railway, named for its slowness, connected Palencia with Villalón de Campos and the province of Valladolid. It originates from a traction project with animal traction, designed by Francisco Subizar Berasain, in 1877, between Valladolid and Medina de Rioseco. The Palencia section was inaugurated in 1912, with the presence of King Alfonso XIII so that, 57 years later, he would make his last trip. The distance of this route is 29.8 km. The route starts from the dock of the Canal de Castilla, until it connects, after approximately 4.3 km, with the old platform of the train track. The route goes around the towns of Villamartín de Campos, Mazariegos, Baquerín de Campos and Castromocho, until reaching the Campos branch of the Canal de Castilla.